All Western Region Sea Scouts, the challenge is made: Take a Selfie at Sea Scouts and you can win a new Popscope selfie stick. Sea Scouts also in the winning photo will receive other prizes as well.
Here are the rules:
1) Selfies must be taken during a Sea Scout activity;
2) Your Selfie must be in a uniform, whether a Ship t-shirt, working uniform, New Century, or Dress Whites of Blues;
3) Your photo has to show Sea Scouts in action, whether it is rowing, sailing, on engine watch, learning advancement, or similar Scouting activity;
4) Must show an element of the Sea Promise or Scout Law; and
5) Must be consistent with Scouting Values, the Guide to Safe Scouting, Scout Oath, and Scout Law.
Photos should be posted to a public Sea Scout Instagram account with the hashtags #seascouts and the Sea Scout activity, such as #sailing or #rowing. Please tag @sailwestward, so we do not miss your post. Sea Scouts should also tag their Sea Scout Ship Instagram profile in their photos (if your Ship has one).
Judges appointed by the Western Region Commodore review the selfies for creativity and Scouting Spirit. The winner will presented at the Western Region Bridge on July 25, 2015.
And yes, we will have two categories: One for youth and one for adult volunteers registered in Sea Scouts.
Ideas for Selfies
Here are examples of selfies for ideas:
Putting on lifejackets before getting in a small boat. This shows the Sea Promise in action to “Guard Against Water Accidents” and Safety Afloat;
10-second video clip of singing while rowing, showing a Scout is Cheerful;
Throwing a Heaving Line to show you are prepared to render aid to those in need.
Those are just ideas. Be creative, have fun, but most of all, be responsible.
If you want tips on how to use Instagram, check out Creating a Social Media Campaign for Your Sea Scout Ship
Safety First! All Sea Scouts must follow the BSA Social Media Guidelines. These guidelines have great safety tips for using social media. Always use common sense and be safe while taking photos.
Always Ask! Ask your friends if you have permission to post a photo with them on Instagram.
The Sea Scout Selfie Competition will be from May 1, 2015 to July 1, 2015. Good luck! Have fun, be safe, and get on the water.